Jax Salsa Scene
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 for nothings

3 posters

Go down

4 for nothings Empty 4 for nothings

Post  Lola September 20th 2009, 11:43 pm

I don't know what the rest of the salsa world calls these little "magic moments" in the music, but I was taught that a measure of music that only has 4 beats is called a "4 for nothing" - or basically, half of a salsa basic. How do you deal with these in your dancing - leaders and followers? Since 4 for nothings put you on the wrong count if you don't catch on to them, do you try to get back on time and how, or do you just dance until you're back on time to the music? For those of you that are good at figuring out when these come up in the music, what tips you off?
Lola
Lola
Admin

https://jaxsalsascene.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

4 for nothings Empty Re: 4 for nothings

Post  Antonio September 21st 2009, 12:25 am

I've noticed that most ladies don't notice if you keep going through and wait for the next 4 for nothing and you're back on time. I've only recently started trying to play with these moments in the music. Good question Lola!
Antonio
Antonio
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  abeja September 22nd 2009, 7:13 pm

Excellent question. I don't really know how to count and fit in my steps to the sound, sometimes it means I tend to pause a little more and I can tell that it throws the guy off a little at first and then I get the look like: oh, ok I guess I was off...he he he.....I am still working on not leading so much....but still have tendencies to work with the music over strictly following a leader.

Some music lends itself to a pause and usually its during one of those pattern changes when there is a blank that is just in the perfect spot from a musical point. So....if you dance to the music and are ready for those pattern changes....you'll automatically have room for some playfullness that helps you gloss right over those beat changes.

The best I can think of is maybe to start going through a few songs counting them all the way through to see if there is a beat change and when you find a few.....try to concentrate on just following the music's lead in pattern change and see if adjusting your dance, style, moves to it will not make it a mute point altogether (for you and your lady since you would also lead a pause or slow down).

abeja

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum